So, my predictions from last year were strikingly on target on the economy and politics, and just as amazingly off target when it came to entertainment and sports. Oh well, at least I am consistent. You can my predictions from last year here.
Here is a review…
- I predicted 2.5% growth…Actual GDP was 1.6%. I was off…but not as much as the Obama Administration, which predicted 3.5-4% growth for 2011.
- I stated that unemployment would NOT drop below 8.5%…it dropped to 8.6% last month.
- Business continue to be profitable overall, as predicted.
- I predicted the stock market would rise 7-10%…it has been virtually flat.
- Oil has hovered below $100, and gas at the pump has been below $4. I predicted both would be much higher.
- I was right on Gold and silver prices, which I predicted correctly would rise until mid year, and then drop.
- I thought there would be MANY more defaults of municipalities, and that has not been true.
- Republicans in the House kept their promise to reform entitlements and health care (especially with the Ryan plan passage), but were blocked by Democrats to move the bills forward.
- Republicans called for broad spending cuts, and passed many of them in the House. As predicted, liberals attacked them for ‘killing the elderly and children’.
- I predicted the debt ceiling fight accurately.
- This is an exact quote from last year’s post: “Obama, as arrogant as ever and possibly more so after his recent successes, will fall back into his belief that he is the greatest politician of his generation. He will make no significant changes to the leadership of the West Wing or Cabinet, and continue on his current path. Sure, he will compromise with Republicans on certain issues. But he will also fight Republicans tooth and nail on certain provisions, but unlike Bill Clinton, will overplay his hand at some point.” Pretty accurate, huh? Even I am impressed.
- I said numerous Democrats would retire…hit the nail on the head.
- I predicted a tumultuous year for states, and predicted heavy cost cutting by MI Gov. Rick Snyder, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo, IL Gov. Pat Quinn, and CA Gov. Jerry Brown. Missed Wisconsin in that, didn’t I?
- I correctly predicted Obama’s popularity would hover in the low 40s. I completely missed when saying Republican popularity would slowly rise (it hasn’t) and Congress approval would stabilize or rise (it has indeed dropped).
- I stated Sarah Palin would not run. But, I thought Mike Pence and John Thune would be the leading candidates for the Republican nomination…big mistake. I still WISH I were right.
- Auburn will crush Oregon for the BCS National Championship. [Crushed? Nope. Win? Yes. ]
- The University of Michigan will fire Rich Rodriquez, and hire Jim Harbaugh as coach. Michigan will go 7-5 in the 2011 season. [Fired RichRod. Hired…Brady Hoke. They went 10-2 (?!?!?!) and are headed to the Sugar Bowl…beyond my wildest expectations]
- New England Patriots will dominate, and win the Super Bowl. [Nope…the Packers dominated]
- Kansas Jayhawks will with the NCAA Basketball Championship. [Nope…UCONN]
- Boston Celtics will win the NBA Championship. Miami and the L.A. Lakers will falter in the playoffs. [Nope…Dallas defeated Miami, as Lebron choked…again.]
- Detroit Red Wings will win the Stanley Cup. [Nope…Boston Bruins]
- Tiger Woods will have another mediocre year. [Nope…he had a horrible year]
- Philadelphia Phillies, behind their awesome new pitching staff, will win the World Series. [Nope…St. Louis Cardinals, in a classic World Series.]
- The Social Network will win the Oscar for Best Movie. 4. Entertainment
- The Social Network will win the Oscar for Best Movie. [Nope…The King’s Speech]